Talk community interview: Oracle
See what Mike Ballard, Vice President Utilities Industry Strategy of Oracle, Silver Partner of EUW, has to say about the opportunities and threats he sees for the industry.
- What does Oracle Utilities see as the biggest opportunity for the smart energy industry?
The smart energy industry is experiencing a perfect storm – forces bringing together new technological capabilities with greater consumer demand for more visibility and control of their energy. That demand is being driven by more decentralized power production where consumers become prosumers with both personal supply and demand functionality at their fingertips. The biggest opportunity within the industry today is to harness this rising prosumer demand with the tools to support changing the conventional mechanism of power delivery. Tools leveraging innovation, whether it is in IoT, Cloud, AI, customer engagement, augmented reality or even innovating in traditional big data management, are resulting in opportunity to accelerate end-to-end visibility and control of the network for the improvement of the customer experience and utility operations, simultaneously. Seizing this opportunity and executing the vision is what lies ahead for the industry.
- What does Oracle Utilities see as the biggest threat to the smart energy industry?
The very nature of the smart energy industry’s responsibility of critical infrastructure demands a focus on physical and cybersecurity. With the growing use of digital devices and consumers becoming active participants, overall cybersecurity risk is has increased significantly. New systems, protocols, and applications open up channels providing a much larger attack surface when left vulnerable. Aside from attacks with malicious intent, the opportunity for accidental cyber security events such as user/administrator errors could also have the same impact as a coordinated attack. Without addressing the security issue in a comprehensive, diligent manner, it will be difficult to near impossible to keep up with increasingly sophisticated cyber threats – culminating in the difficult recovery of issues from control system misconfigurations to region-wide brown/blackouts.
- What are the key topics Oracle Utilities will highlight at this year’s EUW?
We deliver greater value, faster, to today’s utilities. And we will continue to provide utilities with the tools and the means to innovate and transform.
- Most Complete Utilities Platform (Customer-to-Grid)
- We continue to demonstrate and deliver on our overall goal of providing the Most Comprehensive Utility Technology Platform – we are uniquely positioned to accelerate convergence of the proactively customer engagement it optimized utility operations. Operations can thrive within the customer-centric network.
- Unmatched Flexibility/Scalability
- Leading the way in cloud delivery with the first complete suite Utilities Application Platform in the Cloud. Our Oracle Utilities’ comprehensive and complete technology platform is available today both on premise and in the cloud, offering utilities options to best fit their unique needs.
- Delivering Greater Value Faster—both from a delivery perspective and a technology perspective.
- (Delivery): Bringing new accelerated delivery/migration options to market
- (Technology): Lowering the TCO of our applications through product enhancements (on the OT side, WAM 2.2 and NMS 2.4 coming in December) and delivering new technology tools.
Interested in hearing more from Mike Ballard? He will be speaking in the Summit, A Low Carbon Energy System, session taking place in Strauss 1 on the 6 - November at 14:55 - 15:10 about Managing A High Renewable System.
Register for a Summit pass Register here